Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_qLrScsW9SJExaIgxLSZaLoXnWenVP9aLLKQq2DeBew3_n5VMhlgxc-58HgFyTsoz_khU>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:42:10 -0000

> ">And as they chat, what are they doing with their
> > hands?
>
> Drinking, of course. And gesturing. And indicating
> just exactly how big the Storm Bull really was. At
> least, in my glorantha. "
>
> The reply was from someone called Jeff. I can't quite
> make out which Jeff (it seems that "Jeff" is the new
> "David"), but one of them.

Not me. And I don't really see what the point of that conversation was - are you asking what men do when they talk or tell stories in the hall?

> > Vingans can still get pregnant.
>
> Well... some of them. Maybe. There's some stuff about
> Red Women giving their fertility to Ernalda to look
> after. Whether the other, *more* dedicated Vingans can
> get pregnant is never stated in Storm Tribe; the RQ
> ones specifically couldn't.

There never was an official RQ writeup for Vinga, so I am not sure what you are referring to. However, it is pretty clear that Vingans "can" get pregnant - just like monks "can" father children and nuns "can" get pregnant. Not a good idea though and generally diminishes your link to the god (or goddess).

> > But it is taboo and good way to get
> > in big big big trouble with the gods and with your
> > clan.
> It's very definitely not the Vingan way. But simply
> getting laid by a good-looking bloke: well, why not?
> It's fun. The body-parts are there - enjoy them!

Because you run a risk of getting pregnant - even with whatever abortifacients, charms, or feats that are available. Unless it is with a prescribed role (Yinkin, Heler, Eurmal, Nandan, etc), it is a bad idea because for a Vingan to have sex with a man because it angers Vinga (who got in big trouble when she did it) and the other Thunder Brothers. And runs the risk of getting Divine Wrath visited upon your clan.

> > And it is worth keeping in mind that these are minor
> > cults.
>
> Oh yes, the old 85%/15% thing. More than enough to be
> noticed, everyone will know of at least one, but
> definitely a minority.

Less than 15%. Vinga is worshiped by maybe 1 or 2% of Heortling women at best (remember, she gets to share that minority with Maran, Chalana Arroy, Earth Witch, Issaries, Lankhor Mhy, Heler, Yinkin, Kero Fin, Redalyda, and so on). Admittedly, it is one of the more prominent minor cult (as in there are plenty of famous Vingans), but it is certainly not a mainstream Heortling cult. I'm not sure that it is any more common than Redalyda worship (actually Redalyda worship might be more common - there just might be fewer Redalyda initiates).

Jeff