Re: Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_w4XuTpZMlnpp8PXu-lUb6fd1AAVoxQIPHWFDvsR6xJBZ-cYSrXf8ZUj5NZ8gm>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:07:36 +0100 (BST)

> > ">And as they chat, what are they doing with their
> > > hands?
> >
> > Drinking, of course. And gesturing. And indicating
> > just exactly how big the Storm Bull really was. At
> > least, in my glorantha. "
> >
> > The reply was from someone called Jeff. I can't
> quite
> > make out which Jeff (it seems that "Jeff" is the
> new
> > "David"), but one of them.
>
> Not me.

No, it didn't fit with what you've been saying since.

> And I don't really see what the point of
> that conversation
> was - are you asking what men do when they talk or
> tell stories in the hall?

As far as I remember, we were looking at men having craft skills, I suggested that once they were past their young, fit, warrior prime, they'd move towards craft skills, and was told (see above) that they were far too busy boasting and drinking for that.

> > > Vingans can still get pregnant.
> >
> > Well... some of them. Maybe.

> There never was an official RQ writeup for Vinga,

I have never understood what is meant by "official", nor why anyone would care. The version that was worked out over a few years, playtested, published on the web and on paper, and is still in general use today (last enquiry about it was in the last few hours!) lives here:

http://www.jane-williams.me.uk/glorantha/vinga/index.cfm

Checking copyright dates and so on, it's been around about 10 years, and used as the default RQ standard for most of that. The Mongoose version was, I believe (and hope!) based on the HW write-up, not this, but that's very much short-form anyway.

> However, it is pretty
> clear that Vingans "can" get pregnant

Under very exceptional circumstances, yes. They have to be able to so as not to wreck games where it's happened, just as Humakti can. But they certainly won't want to, and their goddess will have means of helping them prevent it.

>But simply

> > getting laid by a good-looking bloke: well, why
> not?
> > It's fun. The body-parts are there - enjoy them!
>
> Because you run a risk of getting pregnant - even
> with whatever
> abortifacients, charms, or feats that are available.

Low risk. Some, sure, as I say, it has to be possible, but not much. Extra hard for Red Women who specifically give their fertility to Ernalda.

> Unless it is
> with a prescribed role (Yinkin, Heler, Eurmal,
> Nandan, etc), it is a
> bad idea because for a Vingan to have sex with a man
> because it angers
> Vinga (who got in big trouble when she did it)

???

Have you actually read the cult writeup?

"After death, Vingans feast, hunt, and relax from the burdens of combat as reward for their lives. They may go to Orlanth’s Hall or visit any of the Thunder Brothers when they want to enjoy men."

"The goddess is bold and adventurous, full of life and laughter, reckless but always artful. She is a lover of many, sometimes bawdy,..."

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk