Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_O_BfLZby4ZLVbazvCPusWJAANkMYltZwouoeysExyZLQrN6PsioVgES5KbB3aMHr1pnF>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:42:23 -0000

> > And I don't really see what the point of
> > that conversation
> > was - are you asking what men do when they talk or
> > tell stories in the hall?
>
> As far as I remember, we were looking at men having
> craft skills, I suggested that once they were past
> their young, fit, warrior prime, they'd move towards
> craft skills, and was told (see above) that they were
> far too busy boasting and drinking for that.

As I've said multiple times, old warriors are either dead or respected thanes. They don't have to become crafters. All full-time warriors are supported by the chief or by other wealthy thanes - whether they are young or old.

> > However, it is pretty
> > clear that Vingans "can" get pregnant
>
> Under very exceptional circumstances, yes. They have
> to be able to so as not to wreck games where it's
> happened, just as Humakti can. But they certainly
> won't want to, and their goddess will have means of
> helping them prevent it.

Vinga probably doesn't do anything of the sort. Some other goddess might. Vinga is the goddess of women who "do as men do" in war. She's not the goddess of birth control (that's probably Earth Witch, or Maran, or something like that).

If a Vingan wants to have sex, she can always have sex with a regular woman. I suspect for most Heortlings, Vinga has virginal associations (like Athena, Artemis and other such goddesses) or lesbian associations.

> > Unless it is
> > with a prescribed role (Yinkin, Heler, Eurmal,
> > Nandan, etc), it is a
> > bad idea because for a Vingan to have sex with a man
> > because it angers
> > Vinga (who got in big trouble when she did it)
>
> ???

There are three shorts myths on this subject that will be included in the Book of Heortling Mythology, available later this year.

> "After death, Vingans feast, hunt, and relax from the
> burdens of combat as reward for their lives. They may
> go to Orlanth's Hall or visit any of the Thunder
> Brothers when they want to enjoy men."

That's after death. Dead people can't get pregnant. After death, Vingans get to enjoy the afterlife and relax from the burdens of combat.

Jeff