Re: Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: donald_at_Bjhn9ePhKrtq7AcEZZEXn2_kbu4qd5VWk1W0RD4tCdViKWtJbTCriYJAvWBY4jRPbN-Rm
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 21:34:51 GMT

In message <564595.59583.qm_at_Al7zW7ZeB2cjMQe-ciuErfISTXaEzfv5zB9_5uLBPdLBcTdp1_XVabUNxCpSItdJBnoyiKkBWj7W6bAnv4qYeQQGh7UIhkNF7bZBH5MDOlfafxru.yahoo.invalid> Jane Williams writes:

>Historically, shepherds used to knit while herding.
>I'm sure other tasks are possible: carving was being
>suggested earlier.

While herding, which is about as solitary an occupation as you can get. Carving is more of a recreational activity like decorative stitching on a garment.

>And if they haven't learnt the
>skills (which I doubt) - well, learn them! Got to be
>better than sitting around idle.

There speaks the Ernaldan.

>> Nandan is a man who's spending most of his time in
>> the company of married women while their husbands
>> are some distance away. Think of the jealously that
>> would exist if it was thought capable of fathering
>> children or even having sexual relations. Now how
>> much is a perception and how much is the truth
>> probably belongs in YGWV
>
>Interesting idea. Of course, the same applies to
>Vingans with a male warband.

Vingans don't usually bear children either. I suspect while an Ernaldan would be jealous of another woman bearing her husband's child she'd be less bothered about sex. One of the problems a Vingan would have getting pregnant would be hostility from the Ernaldans who she needed to help her through the birth.

>And female healers travelling with a warband.

They are usually married to one of the warriors.

>Probably a few other cases
>that don't come to mind at the moment;

>there's the whole Elmal and Ernalda thing, as well.

They don't share the same work space. I think this is a very touchy issue in the mortal world and everyone is careful not to let ritual roles encroach on everyday life. Powerful magic when invoked at need, taboo at any other time.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/