Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_Tz_86kDW2vYaNeDgtndHB7j6o5YfYOT3r9e17BpcNdomm0t6Ef0xPyYPOMCumacwTkwX>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:34:12 -0000

> Ernalda Allmother has the feat "Aid Contraception" as well as
> "Aid Conception". Ernaldans control their fertility, pregnancy
> is generally a choice not an accident. Sure there will be cases
> where a woman decides not to choose or fumbles the magic but
> reasonably reliable contraception is the only way you can have
> sexual activity before marriage without a horde of babies born
> out of wedlock. Vinga has every reason to keep that Ernaldan
> magic and use it carefully.

Vinga does not have that magic. A Vingan might get that from an Ernaldan priestess - but for a variety of reasons, a pregnant Vingan won't likely get much sympathy from the Ernalda priestess.

> I'm sure Vinga gets into big trouble by getting pregnant, and
> has to find a way of putting it right.

Not really. Thanks to her pregnancy the Thunder Brothers lose an important battle, Hedkoranth loses a duel, Starkval gets wounded, Rigsdal falls asleep, Barntar is forced to fight and not plough - meaning the Storm Tribe goes hungry, Ernalda refuses to bless the pregnancy, the goddesses get angry, and so on. Her offspring (born as an adult) has no father (since it would force a god to acknowledging having sex with a man - and not a "man as woman"), and Vinga is readmitted to the Thunder Brothers only after going through ritual purification. But because she's a goddess, she can begin again (she's not stuck in Time).

Worse for the Vingan hero who got pregnant. She can't give birth to an adult, she can't avoid the laws of men, and so on. She ends up outlawed and despised until she becomes an Ernalda worshipper.

Jeff