Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_xFFzz-m5wgJPhjeQNa4EkKOZ8o4C9QnAaDXUA8_-q9_mKNynVOEsHcXQIrh_Sl5r74_F>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 01:03:14 -0000

> >And who aren't satisfied with the more mainstream minority deities,
> >like Chalana Arroy, Lhankor Mhy, and Humakt. They're probably 15% of
> >the 15%.
>
> I'd regard Vinga as a mainstream minority deity, probably the
> biggest of the 15% of women who don't follow Ernalda. Only a
> minority of healers will follow Chalana Arroy. Humakt is
> mainstream among men but hardly among women. Lhankor Mhy is
> probably preferred to Vinga Andrin just as Issaries is
> preferred to Vinga Harst.

I doubt there is an active cult of Vinga Andrin or Vinga Harst anywhere amongst the Heortlings. Maybe once there was (although I strongly doubt it).

I suspect David is right and the Vinga cult numbers about 15% of the 15%.

> I remember playing with numbers some time ago and the 15% males
> who weren't followers of Orlanth were easy enough to find - the
> biggest group were Elmali because there are some clans with an
> Elmali majority. The 15% of women were much more difficult
> even with a relatively high proportion of Vingans. Further
> thought leads me to the possibility that the Elmali clans have
> a high proportion of women who follow Redalda rather than Ernalda.

Redalda is a bigger cult than ST suggests. Same thing with Maran. And the Earth Witch didn't even make the cut, although it is probably at least as common as Kolat (which also didn't make the cut). And even in Elmali clans, Allfather worshipers are usually the majority.

Jeff