Re: Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_o-SieQj_O0wNDvnfp1KZOlf4gWPxGeVN48uh8yoJpgXF5EXgyHtxqDlgOB1xJ>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 07:37:22 +0100 (BST)

> > > And I don't really see what the point of
> > > that conversation
> > > was - are you asking what men do when they talk
> or
> > > tell stories in the hall?
> >
> > As far as I remember, we were looking at men
> having
> > craft skills, I suggested that once they were past
> > their young, fit, warrior prime, they'd move
> towards
> > craft skills, and was told (see above) that they
> were
> > far too busy boasting and drinking for that.
>
> As I've said multiple times, old warriors are either
> dead or respected
> thanes. They don't have to become crafters. All
> full-time warriors
> are supported by the chief or by other wealthy
> thanes - whether they are young or old.

Yes, and as has also been said multiple times, old *warriors* are so rare as to be irrelevant. Middleaged to old *farmers* are the norm, and the clan cannot afford to have them sitting around idle, nor to have the whole lot of them imagining they run the place.

> > > However, it is pretty
> > > clear that Vingans "can" get pregnant
> >
> > Under very exceptional circumstances, yes. They
> have
> > to be able to so as not to wreck games where it's
> > happened, just as Humakti can. But they certainly
> > won't want to, and their goddess will have means
> of
> > helping them prevent it.
>
> Vinga probably doesn't do anything of the sort.
> Some other goddess
> might. Vinga is the goddess of women who "do as men
> do" in war.

And the "young warrior" archetype definitely includes enjoyment of the opposite sex, without worrying about responsibility.

> She's not the goddess of birth control (that's
> probably Earth Witch,
> or Maran, or something like that).

Which is why she gets that power from her mother. Like it says in the myth.

> If a Vingan wants to have sex, she can always have
> sex with a regular woman.

According to the writeup, she has sex with men. And enjoys it.

> > > Vinga (who got in big trouble when she did it)
> >
> > ???
>
> There are three shorts myths on this subject that
> will be included in
> the Book of Heortling Mythology, available later
> this year.

That's very nice for it ("later this year" is something I'll believe when I see, "available" has meant "ten copies only" before now), but the existing mythology is quite clear. Vinga enjoys herself. If new myths contradict this, they have problems.

Yahoo! Photos is now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo. http://uk.photos.yahoo.com