Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_SEpcgqVb5mJH-PwuvSdTfT7x0kIelAdy-9YwzBDQ4GYiXzUSFOxADoq2aXEcHZRk5x1e>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 07:12:59 -0000

> Yes, and as has also been said multiple times, old
> *warriors* are so rare as to be irrelevant. Middleaged
> to old *farmers* are the norm, and the clan cannot
> afford to have them sitting around idle, nor to have
> the whole lot of them imagining they run the place.

And middle-aged to old farmers still work on their farms. Old farmers are supported by the clan - because they are old - although I'm sure they advise their kin on how best to plough, plant and harvest, as well as all the other things that need to be done.

> > Vinga probably doesn't do anything of the sort.
> > Some other goddess
> > might. Vinga is the goddess of women who "do as men
> > do" in war.
>
> And the "young warrior" archetype definitely includes
> enjoyment of the opposite sex, without worrying about
> responsibility.

What universal archetype are you basing that on?

> That's very nice for it ("later this year" is
> something I'll believe when I see, "available" has
> meant "ten copies only" before now), but the existing
> mythology is quite clear. Vinga enjoys herself. If new
> myths contradict this, they have problems.

As Greg has said, many things in Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribes are written for popular play, not the "real Glorantha". This discussion is about deep Gloranthan background, not popular play, so I am responding with deep background that contradicts stuff that was written for popular play.

Jeff