Deep, not popular

From: Juha Ratilainen <jualra_at_EjOpVT8nMHK2ush1jA0Gkk80EIM2ORC_oXvBLhcJrHojFMhGece2QiedS29vGrNRb8QWY>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 10:07:40 -0000

So Gloranthan gaming cannot handle deep background? Players are unable to make up characters that could be "real" Gloranthans and need to be fed with simplifications and half-truths? GM's don't need to know the real deal, something "popular" will do - as they couldn't handle real Glorantha anyway.

I always thought that deep, mature and challenging stuff was exactly what made gamers interested in Glorantha. Seems I was wrong.

Why the popular stuff *must* contradict the deeper, true background, is still beyond me however. Simplifying the more complex stuff for "popular play" would be quite sufficient.

Once upon a time, the Unfinished Works were collections of writings that could be incomplete / wrong, and what was in the game books was official. Now it seems it's the other way around...

I'm not interested in the Vinga discussion at all. However, as I'm about to start a Lunar campaign, I'd love to hear about the things in ILH's that are only meant for popular play - so that I could leave them out of my game.

--jr