Re: Deep, not popular

From: Jakob Pape <chaomancer_at_VpBKLL-kdLmsjZBDB3pL5iD4MxIxMUqDfJ71RShuVHkztPK0QSAzaMr9tOFWYrhvV>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:03:52 +0100

On 4/6/07, Juha Ratilainen <jualra_at_TLEdiWUD2v3W4ws2TZyC5Bl5FD2ykPECoYVeGfaLzFJzeBqD25L0pxRMx_MyyE_QL6VVW7cZeIM.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> --- "Jeff Richard" wrote:
> > As Greg has said, many things in Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribes are
> > written for popular play, not the "real Glorantha". This discussion
> > is about deep Gloranthan background, not popular play, so I am
> > responding with deep background that contradicts stuff that was
> > written for popular play.
>

> So Gloranthan gaming cannot handle deep background? Players are
> unable to make up characters that could be "real" Gloranthans and
> need to be fed with simplifications and half-truths? GM's don't need
> to know the real deal, something "popular" will do - as they couldn't
> handle real Glorantha anyway.
>
> I always thought that deep, mature and challenging stuff was exactly
> what made gamers interested in Glorantha. Seems I was wrong.
>
> Why the popular stuff *must* contradict the deeper, true background,
> is still beyond me however. Simplifying the more complex stuff
> for "popular play" would be quite sufficient.
>
> Once upon a time, the Unfinished Works were collections of
> writings that could be incomplete / wrong, and what was in the game
> books was official. Now it seems it's the other way around...
>
> I'm not interested in the Vinga discussion at all. However, as I'm
> about to start a Lunar campaign, I'd love to hear about the things in
> ILH's that are only meant for popular play - so that I could leave
> them out of my game.
>
> --jr

I agree - why do we need to be fed wrong information in order to play games set in Glorantha? Aside from anything else, this means that when the 'truth' is published later, it makes us wrong.

I DO have an interest in the Vinga discussion, as Vingans have been quite important in the game I'm running. Including a clan which has a high proportion of Vingans (apparently impossible, because they can't get pregnant and the clan wouldn't have enough kids) and specifically a PC Vingan pregnancy. Now I read here that this is all nonsense, and my Glorantha has varied so much as to be entirely incompatible. It argues strongly against me buying any book of Heortling Mythology, as it contains myths completely at odds with the books I had, foolishly, thought to be 'official'. This aside from questions such as 'why is Kallyr always portrayed as female?' that this new information brings into play.

Also, I'm afraid I'm unwilling to take someone's description of a myth that has yet to be published over the accumulated published information. I would suggest it's, at the least, a bad idea to publish such a myth without a matching cult write-up for any gods or goddesses who are so massively changed as Vinga appears to be by this. I would prefer no retcons at all, of course, but as a minimum - give us compatible cult write-ups.

--
Jakob Pape

"Sometimes subtlety comes in the form of large explosions and jammed open
airlock doors."