Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_ywZ3i1il5qL2p30QqvGb8VJJMadQjESpR1s6eLrp2ELg4TSwLpKZFShfAQinMLrjBvLA_s7r>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:12:17 -0000

> > > Sure. And as they chat, what are they doing with
> > their hands?
> >
> > Drinking, of course. And gesturing. And indicating
> > just exactly how
> > big the Storm Bull really was. At least, in my
> > glorantha.
>
> So you subscribe to the "men are too incompetent to
> talk and act at the same time" theory? Weren't we
> saying something earlier about bias against men being
> just as unfair as bias against women? We have this
> lovely picture of the women in the loom house making
> all the decisions that run the clan, as they weave -
> and the men can't manage anything more constructive
> than drinking, while they do their talking?

But I think she is slightly missing the point. Sure the Men *could* do plenty of constructive things while they do their talking, but they prefer to drink.

Elsewhere it was pointed out that Durev (IIRC) has a "Work Hard" feat, and so. like Ernalda would not want to be sitting around Idle, but again I think this misses the difference in approach. The Ernaldan Works Hard all the time ("A Woman's work is never done") so resents time spent chatting if she isn't also spinning, or knitting,

or weaving, or cookign etc etc.  The Orlanthi, on the other hand,
works hard and plays hard.  He considers that, by working hard when
ploughing, or repairinf the stead, or hunting, or training with the
fyrd, he has earned the right to have a drink and a chat with his mates. Of course, being as he is an Orlanthi male, this may turn out to involve much boasting, drinking 15 Pints, eating Hot curries and impromptu Farting competitions that Jane has missed out on as a female engineer and programmer....

Which is why, per John Hughes, The Ernaldan ring secretly rules the clan. They get together to discuss things while they work, so their husbands never realise what they are up to. If the men, on the other hand, spend to long sitting around discussing matters their wives come and berate them for loafing around when their is work to be done and break up their cosy meetings....