Popularity of Minority cults

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_Wf0fwe6YN3ITc5XcqiPnRwrIPalY6qI8SC4boV0SYd-6fg4IQlZlISlXh>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:38:15 +0000 (GMT)

Michael wrote:
>>Interesting question. Howmany Orlanthi women choose a warriors path and how many of those Vinga over warrior cults (like Humakt and Storm Bull) that will take both men and women?<<
My assumption when working on Red Cow (http://iancooper.brinkster.net/glorantha/sartar/redcow/redcow.html), based off some previous posts of Greg's is that clan's tend to favour certain minority cults over others, based on their ancestral experiences. So in some clans people women warriors will gravitate toward Vinga, some Maran, some Humakt, and some Heler. Of course it is possible to worship a cult uncommon in your clan, through the tribe, but that will tend to involve you travelling to a neighbouring tula where they do follow those gods for worship ceremonies.

Put another way there are decreasing circles of 'behaving like everyone else'.

In the Red Cow for example, first a woman worships Ernalda. But if that is not the right path she can follow Heler, and the Kerenelling bloodline will no doubt welcome her as a sister. But it that is not her way and she has the storm in her breath, she might join the red-headed lodge where there are a small number of Vingans, especially if the blood-feud is her path. The fishermen sometimes talk to the spirits when the Kolating shaman comes and if that is her way she can find her path down among the rivermen. If she cannot find solace among her clan then, she might travel to our neighbours the Frithan clan to follow Humakt if the raven croaks her name, or the Underwillow if the Lightbringers summon her. If she is 'not like us' she might find a shrine to Yinkin or Odayla among the hunters of the wilds. But if she wants to join Redalda, wife to Heler's rival Elmal, then she is lost to us and must join our horse-loving rivals the Dolutha.

Most people will be limited in their worship choices to gods they can find priests or godi of in their neighbourhood.

Ian Cooper