Re: Deep, not popular

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_Gsz9OFIFWwauw1-h-Dh7kBEVA7TtbiD3hwuRmSkiatwj4SnCBucUfoHu3dLqiGysBuMNThj>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:25:29 -0700

YGWV I?d like to address this topic briefly.

First: it is of no value to overstate the issue here. I don?t think anyone has said there is a ?need to be fed wrong information in order to play games set in Glorantha.?

Also, please consider you have been reading an exchange between two contributors to the list, not any Gloranthan publication, not any ?official declarations.? I ask everyone to please keep some perspective.

I gave my opinions long ago, and have largely skipped the fury and brimstone between Jeff and Jane. They are two people committed to their versions of the world and I welcome them both to it. The fact that ?two divergent Gloranthas sounds like a recipe for confusion? is not distressing to me at all. It is the REASON that YGWV.

Everyone will have their own opinion whether or not it ?Is ? really too much to ask? for me to abandon my own creativity concerning a literary world I have been working with for over 40 years; whether I ought to just shut up about expressing new information about it just because I wrote one thing for popular consumption and would like to also share other information here.

As for ?its fundamental features should be left alone for a few years,? that will happen soon enough for me. At some point I will be too busy elsewhere to say anything. And know what? Other people will continue to bring up new stuff. Isn?t that what this type of list is about?

As for people who want to ?run their campaigns and explore the setting without having it radically revised?? I have two comments:

  1. radical revision? *fundamental* feature? Vinga is a minor cult in one culture. I?m not going to bother with a discussion of why I think it is immensely popular. It appears to be a radical change because this minor cult has been emphasized in so many games. (This reminds me of the furor that erupted over Humakt when I took the liberty of sharing the fact that the cult was the place where psychos who loved death collected.)
  2. YGWV. Always did, always will.

Finally:
In MY Glorantha there are some Vingans who are hot fighting chicks in leather who have sex with whatever guy(s) they want; most follow the archetype of ?men in women?s bodies.? Just like there are Humakti who are honorable, upright, sane and concerned with justice. Honest.

And you all have permission to do the same. It's a game, friends.
YGWV.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.