Re: Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: donald_at_5YFvGXJjEBGMsTfRuY-WdBav3xhIr3RJqPPEUhDkQwRuYlL4tu4G4KTGpphKFHRMdrBNk
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:25:02 GMT

In message <20070406080816.87690.qmail_at_R0HS8v8DyfLQpSKHO2yspA1rlsOfEl_s1imdYJIdClnVRcHVz9UaBmTd1xC2iq5KqT6SCowwf1B6q90frLUsB5IeBQSOb6xHiXNtdTauHf5mQKlc0hmpWlUMMf03RFKUaw.yahoo.invalid> Jane Williams writes:

>--- Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_lgjl6MCITEFWYomhFdI_B9Ve55TyLNYXhe2rN2Bps3BAYL0JpKM-lvFBpx7Hl4__sgvO13MS4kHRr62aNk0.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>> Interesting question. How many Orlanthi women
>> choose a warriors path
>
>"All" warriors are male: quotes to indicate the daft
>convention that there is no longer a word for "all",
>but only one for "85%". So 15% of warriors are female.

Actually I don't think the 15% is necessarily true. The Orlanthi "all" is a minimum of 85% not exactly 85%. There are one or two places where the numbers contradict if you insist on exactly 85%.

>> and how many of those Vinga over warrior cults
>> (like Humakt and Storm Bull) that will take both men
>> and women?
>
>There's also the Gor options. The War Women. But Vinga
>is the sanest of the options, the most socially
>acceptable. The War Women have specific prohibitions
>against sex, varying in severity right up to "no
>contact at all with any living thing", Humakti are
>dead and may or may not have prohibitions against sex
>depending on which of the two philosophies they
>follow, and Uroxi... yes, quite.

There are some women who I can well imagine following Urox. However there's Helamakt which is at least sane but again are rare - ST says one or two per clan and the ambigous sexuality is likely to put people off joining.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/