Re: Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: donald_at_9EQciDFjZoeC7JJFhhP1jJk0VdAHG-41S94jIwK0Wr440_B5HT46LhPwIbF1RJFv6k7FD
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 00:47:06 GMT

In message <Pine.GSO.4.63.0704061544340.13794_at_v0CnXPtrRlKwHksocN_F9mE_UJpEIRjXoNkDuAo9enTvtqPfrSHDGpgbGJ8Kw_YHSwAVEb_FhPXQ3ZG7YJAriPesaR_ZVGt1zAdsdghzWn7n4M_Gp7FmFqSDpUydtVxA.yahoo.invalid> Michael Hitchens writes:
>On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, donald_at_o9fqI7TnDJVWqwFji747-WhaYsQQY619KufzkZN42mFJrNz4qK__rUDXXqtY6Kp7q_9-_KP9HN6Pr2sGSM9_2cQ.yahoo.invalid wrote:

>> I'd regard Vinga as a mainstream minority deity, probably the
>> biggest of the 15% of women who don't follow Ernalda. Only a
>> minority of healers will follow Chalana Arroy.
>
>I'm not sure I agree with this. Vinga is a dedicated warrior cult (the
>default sub-cult is Vinga *spearwoman* afterall). Dedicated Warriors
>aren't the majority amongst men - dedicated farmers are. What about women
>who don;t want to weave etc, but want to farm and shepherd? Vinga offers
>nothing to them. What cult do they join?

Vinga Orolmarn for herders into which I would include shepherds. Vinga Orlanthcarl for the few who are wealthy enough to have a plough and ox team. I suspect the commonest subcult being Vinga the spearwoman reflects the fact that as men they are required to turn out with the fyrd. So they are seen as warriors even though their main occupation is something else whereas a man doing the same work might follow Durev.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/