Re: Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: donald_at_1wUOuD_WQA4EjKpXqAPHB11tPLKTtejwTItD3VmfacN-qhJWxfDC0nuZcKqC7c-Jj7Zl7
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:06:09 GMT

In message <94194.98446.qm_at_oS67EubCfdL--vlyxw7lLLja2snAyY7V207ZJ7Ul-NR0PFXj93kB3NQGu_PFCfPGbb3TR85ambqwHRAHUg6bcWXbc0B5ZzF9SqJs0vv84p64kVk.yahoo.invalid> Jane Williams writes:

>Also anyone who's grown up in a society that lives
>closer to the edge than ours. Idleness is a luxury.
>And I'm still not convinced that Ernaldans are
>especially intolerant of idleness compared to the men:
>Durev has "work hard" as a feat.

There may be a different view of what "work hard" means. Continual productive activity is associated with women and their work whereas men often work intensively for a period and then relax. It's probably more cultural than genetic but attempts to work intensively for long periods lead to illness for both sexes.

>> Vingans don't usually bear children either. I suspect
>> while an Ernaldan would be jealous of another woman
>> bearing her husband's child she'd be less bothered
>> about sex.
>
>Probably, but an oath is still an oath. If he has to
>break it with *somebody* then no doubt a Vingan would
>be preferable, but that doesn't make it good.

But what is the oath? Or rather oaths because with all the different types of Heortling marriage there are bound to be variations in the oaths. You could have an oath which concentrates on making and bringing up children rather than sexual fidelity. Given Orlanth's and Ernalda's myths the latter may be a desirable option rather than a sworn requirement.

>> >And female healers travelling with a warband.
>>
>> They are usually married to one of the warriors.
>
>Good point. Possible for Vingans, too, but less likely.

I don't see Vingans getting married. Partially because it doesn't fit mythically but also because no Ernaldan is going to want a Vingan daughter-in-law. Sure, no one can make you do anything but they can make life very unpleasant if you do things they don't like.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/