Re: Humakt

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_l-fSQuFozMmaB0DJRZgPdkBdQqLwepEhcefMOnSDOAkdtFXZ5qtttUDjBFd1z3QQpBM>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 18:29:51 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Greg Stafford wrote:

> YGWV
>
>> Greg said about Humakt:
>>> I took the liberty of sharing the fact that the cult was the place where
>>> psychos who loved death collected.
>>>
>>> Just like there are Humakti who are honorable, upright, sane and
>>> concerned with justice. Honest.
>>
>> Can I ask,
>
> Asking is always allowed.

Thanks.

>> in your Glorantha, what percentage of Humakt's worshippers is
>> represented by each of these two groups? Just trying to get a feel for
>> it.
>
> I don't know. I hesitate to say because then it becomes DATA.
> No one takes census in Sartar.

Fair enough. I should have thought of that.

>> And how about the "Cynical, sarcastic, arrogant, intelligent and
>> remorseless" types? Those psychos need someone to tell them what to do
>
> Remorseless? Sounds psycho to me.
> But, being less cynical, sounds like there's room for them too.

I was trying for a type just this side of psychopathy.

> The key here is that "Youdon't choose your god, the god chooses you."

Useful to remember

> There are probably some who were Chosen to serve Death who are
> confused, unhappy, dutiful yet still wanting life, and thus damn
> careful and deadly.

Sounds good to me.

I don't pretend to any more than a layman's grasp of psychological disorders, but as I understand it psychopaths typically aren't good on self-control or long-term planning. I don't know if the majority of Humakti would be classic psychopaths, but I can see there being a sizable number of them and Humakt being the socially acceptable place for them (or at least the more extreme ones). I do have this image of the leaders being a bit shrewder. While psychopaths might make good foot soldiers for the cult, its leaders need to be something a bit different. Something that channels the urges into the appropriate (for Humakt) channels.

It's worth remembering that many leaders, patriots and heroes from other cultures and times would, in today's society, be labelled psychopathic and/or sociopathic.

Anyway, proably just me over-analysing again and my glorantha varying.

Thanks for the answer

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_OiAjvfNmOnV-vaxQeYhhwPY0FQWC44QuNFAtvXNtamp28zaZ2d4NbjrIdTez39UN87EuNl-W7Ry6lg-iB9HpAis.yahoo.invalid