Re:Vingan Number Crunching

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_WqnpURzKWUuLflsH7ExLq9DsG2xSL4-aUDqU03CabwWNg12eDzmx91Tpy>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 09:50:54 +0000 (GMT)

I think we have forgotten some previous work on the 15% problem on the HeroQuest-RPG list, and some insights from Greg. In figuring this out in the past we looked at the population of the whole of Sartar and took the 15% figure from the whole population (c. 27,000) rather than per clan. We then reasoned that many of these people might live in the towns and cities.

Greg also pointed out that rather than even distribution across many clans we were likely to see clans clusters of worship in specific clans, at perhaps more than the 15% figure. So for example the Isolting clan of the Malani have many worshippers of Humakt. So this 15% is not evenly distributed in each clan. Greg figured that it was likely that there were two Humakti clans, and then a scattering everywhere else (which some wag pointed out was probably entirely player characters). You can find the numbers in an article on the Glorantha site: http://www.glorantha.com/new/q-and-a/humakti.html

So if you want to find your missing women, you also look for clans that have significant clusters of people following other-ways, perhaps a clan that has a lot of Maran women for example, instead of relying on the idea that there are 15% of women following other ways per clan.

It is something I got a little wrong in my first Red Cow write up, because each clan has its a group of 'one-in-seven' who follow other ways. I now think it is enough to leave that at the Heler loving Red Cow and Elmal loving Dolutha among the Cinsina and have smaller percentages of those following 'other-ways' among the other clans.

Ian Cooper