Re: Deep, not popular

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_5Ths6F8vTCINB__XF3nPnBn3GWyK6zQnIeWwg3Q2dtHP67B36deNimK0-Gp7ZBiKLnq>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:26:22 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Jane Williams wrote:

> Michael:
>
>>> As I said elsewhere the CHDP to me seems to be
>> awfully full of
>>> holes re
>>> Argrath career prior to becoming an independent
>> leader. What did
>>> he do to
>>> be one of the rivals for the throne? It omits
>> stuff where he was a
>>> sub-leader, answering to Kallyr. Which he must
>> have at some
>>> point. So
>>> his involvement in the Dragon rising is omitted,
>> as the CHDP
>>> doesn;t want
>>> to admit he was ever subordinate to, and a
>> follower of, Kallyr.
>

> Paul:
>> Exactly my point. Argrath may be involved, but it
>> isn't his show.
>> Kallyr is in charge and it's likely that Orlaront
>> and Minaryth
>> contributed more to the planning. CHDP doesn't want
>> to admit to
>> Kallyr's role but doesn't dare deny it outright or
>> give Argrath credit.
>
> Yes, I like this. Let me add a couple of ideas to the
> mix, while getting no nearer an answer.
>
> What gets left out of CHDP is odd. We have a battle
> which was "a total disaster for Argrath" left in, for
> instance. Wasn't he present at some battle commanded
> by Broyan, too? So why the bias against being shown
> working for Kallyr? Well, if he'd once sworn loyalty
> to her: and then arranged for her murder? That's
> really bad. That's oath-breaking. If it wasn't for
> that, you could fill the description up with "and then
> Kallyr had no idea what to do, so her advisors,
> including Argrath, told her to..."

Ooo - hadn't thought of it that way. Oathbreaking would definitely be a good reason never to mention *any* connection between Kallyr and Argrath. Doesn't mean that is what has to be the reason, but it's certainly a good candidate for GMs to consider.

> Then there's the Mystery of the Missing Foodman. KoS
> again: we have a list of Kallyr's Companions (date
> unknown). The posts match those of Umath's Camp, with
> the one exception that the Foodman was missing. It has
> been suggested that the Foodman was Argrath, and so a
> line got deleted by a later editor. But since we don't
> know when the Companions List applies, this merely
> adds to the mystery.

Adds weight to theory of ChDP trying desperately to avoid any hint of Argrath ever being a follower of Kallyr.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_-O3aApz0cROWxSDX8XVAoweJ2cJ3DNDn0rjzE67b_fAJP2gxkh0k20ciuhZQ07X3z-syzgKkIdhMsa8srOI.yahoo.invalid