Re: Generally Accepted Glorantha (GAG) , Core Glorantha

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_cvLsXn083OkE8FFdyHutHxFKlW3R3lA9WejIIPQop66nMIfjBsuiQcr-EShrZ>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:51:30 +0100 (BST)

> --- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com, Jane
> Williams
> <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> >
> > > The problem with this effort is that it is
> limiting.
> > > It doesn't take into account YGWV
> >
> > Well, no. That's the point. This is what YG varies
> > *from*.
>
> Jane - Your Glorantha Will Vary. Period. I've seen
> versions of
> Glorantha where Orlanth is not the King of the Storm
> Tribe, or where
> Vinga is completely unknown.

Sure. And if you were writing to a general Gloranthan list such as this one about things in those Gloranthas, you'd have to make it clear that those variations existed. If you were producing a work intended for general use, and it had that much variation from core, you couldn't expect many people to be able to use it.

That's the point! Not that you shouldn't do the variation, but that sometimes the variation means the results are no longer of *general* use. Like that Swords version of Arkat I just sent out - for anyone else, it's useless. A few amusing ideas you can borrow, possibly, but there's no way that could go out as general-purpose background, no matter how good it was.

> None of the so-called "Unfinished Works" are
> incomprehensible.

A lot of people who have tried to read them and failed disagree with you. I've found them hard work, but possible: worth it if the subject matter is something I'm really interested in. "Accessible" should not mean "easy enough to understand after a few months study", nor should it require degree-level education.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/