Re: Generally Accepted Glorantha (GAG) , Core Glorantha

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_1WgyJKfq70QDjcoorO8tZu-jRegF1a_FGJ6MIQ7amle-sKINx6pVnZ10CUm-BAQBcd9>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:13:49 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Jane Williams wrote:

> Should we add that "core Glorantha" should also be
> readily accessible in terms of being readable? The
> Unfinished Works, wonderful though they are, are hard
> going. And they are Unfinished in any case.
>
> As a minimalistic "definitive works" list, might I
> suggest:
>
> Sartarite Orlanthi society: Thunder Rebels, Storm
> Tribe, Barbarian Adventures. I might add to that the
> various web bits that were by the same authors and
> only got cut from those works due to space limitations
> (such as John Hughes' work on Vinga, and no doubt
> others I'm not aware of).
>
> Dragon Pass history: KoS - with the very large proviso
> that anyone reading it needs to realise that it is an
> in-Glorantha source and needs interpreting as such.
>
> Pavis - the Moon Designs reprint. I'd like to add Ian
> Thompson's work to that, but sadly too much of it is
> out of print and not web-available.
>
> Lunar Empire - IHL1 and 2.
>
> After that, things become more difficult to find
> definitive works for, at least for me. Far Place -
> Questlines website. The Tarsh books - are they
> sufficiently "available", still?
>
> Anyone want to add other areas, quibble with the Core
> List....? But do you at least see what I'm driving at?
> A central, common ground for communication. Ducks
> having cigars is part of GaG, but a Glorantha where
> they didn't smoke wouldn't be a problem in discussion.
> One where Orlanth is a pacifist, would. That's "core".

A nice idea, but really what would be core beside the publications of Chaosium/Issaries/Moon design/ Mongoose? With older ones being excised by newer ones. You can't include any of the fanzine material, even things like Unspoken Word, because availability is too problematic.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_rJavIB3LIFjHn4OhxhMNXHWDbfopVYfETNREHJQ72wDD1gT6YzgmQVnXiCh2h1d4U0TcJa0FFLLIfJ3eAbI.yahoo.invalid