Re: Divergent Arkat - this may seriously damage your mental health

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_nzd9S84xsH-IA5qnaoP7VY4JR2zsSjpiVL3cUkKYOxv-1az7LowvMzXarvvchjFWtAB>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:51:09 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Jane Williams wrote:

> --- Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at__qtpn2skZ7KgLQXTaX_05qJyBYJz9xxArdfWcR5FabKJbItXMlfwBZZptWLkMsq5p3PfqdxcCrTta27v-g.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Jane Williams wrote:
>>
>>> You asked. Do you now regret it?
>>
>> No - far too intersting for regrets, so thnk you.
>> Not what I'd do, but that doesn't matter. Differing
>> approaches are always useful.
>> Sounds like there should be a steep learning curve -
>> are they going to
>> make mistakes through inexperience that they will
>> have to fix before being
>> able to make the changes they want to make?
>
> Oh, I'm sure of it. They (well, we - I was a player
> back then) have already done some HQing that went all
> experimental, and the unintended consequences are
> gradually escalating. That's a thought, I really
> should work out the effects of a rather large river
> appearing in Caravan Alley :)

Better fishing, at least :-)

> At present about all they're doing is finding things
> out about Arkat and their sub-cult, and being very
> surprised at all the connections that keep cropping
> up. We're off to play with the "coincidence" of names
> between Kargan (sub-cult of Humakt), Kargan Tor
> (ancient god of war) and Kaarg (troll war god) next,
> and I'm sure something new will appear about Arkat
> King-troll as a result. I just want to throw in a few
> more things that have "always been like that" but
> clearly didn't used to be, and get them nicely
> paranoid about just how many people have been hacking
> their mythology, and how many of them were themselves
> in the future. They're already half-convinced that
> someone they met on a HQ recently was a future version
> of themselves, and for all I know, they're right.

I'd never picked the Kargan and Kargan Tor link. He's one of the few sub-cults that gives no information about the founder/worshipped being. Not even if it originated int he god's war or time. Interesting too that that sub-cult extends beyond the sword. Someone(thing) named after Kargan Tor? Or a survival of Kargan Tor or some frgament of him? Interesting possibilities.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at__qtpn2skZ7KgLQXTaX_05qJyBYJz9xxArdfWcR5FabKJbItXMlfwBZZptWLkMsq5p3PfqdxcCrTta27v-g.yahoo.invalid