Re: Generally Accepted Glorantha (GAG) , Core Glorantha

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_4pN6NMqYijY0jPxM0BvNxGOV7iubRTye35nRtKx7mOYGBuhQNY05LyMdoX__WWY0>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:19:30 +1000

Jane drops a few mortars: :)

>And you probably won't in anything I write, either, I
>don't like the idea. But others do. Wasn't it the
>famous Sandy quote? "Of course ducks have teeth - how
>else would they hold their cigars?" And the John
>Hughes version of ducks gives them all cigar magic.
>You start reading up Ducks, you find next to nothing
>in Core, and a lot of cigars and bad puns based on
>comic strips in GaG. I don't like either, but I'm
>stuck with them.

Whoa there. The cigar quote is from John Castellucci.

Before I get twagically tarred and feathered for loosing *gasp* humour into our sacrosanct little Lozenge, let me use this as an example as to why I personally don't think dividing up the sources into GAG/non-GAG, official fan etc. is a useful idea idea.

There are two concepts that always have to loom large in assessing materials, and neither of them have to do with 'facts'.

One is genre. Its omnipresent in Glorantha, and in Gloranthan writing. There are huge sections of Glorantha that don't scan except as irony, humour, literary exaggeration or inversion. My own duck cultus writings are one such - though they were never intended as 'GAG' , only as gag, and clearly bear the warning. 'presented in the spirit of Indlas Somer and Terry Pratchet.I love the Durultz, and think they deserve respect and serious discussion. Unfortunately, these notes aren't going to advance the cause.' Other examples might be Peter Metcalfe's work and the wacky California-isms that pepper early works, only to be subtlety turned down as time goes by. Brian to Bryan, Leonarda the scientist pedaller, trollball etc.

Some things that are undeniably Gloranthan work best in only genre modes, be it hack and slash, epic heroquests or *sigh* ducks versus baboons.

The other is the mythic framework of roleplaying in general and Glorantha in particular: not the myths *about* Glorantha but the values, assumptions, doorways and blind alleys involved in creating, shaping and gaming in a fantasy roleplaying environment.

More on that if I ever finish my Vinga response.

Must run,

Cheers

John

John Hughes
Publications Editor
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research College of Arts and Social Sciences
Hanna Neumann Building #21
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

T: +61 2 6125 0649
F: +61 2 6125 9730
W: www.anu.edu.au/caepr

CRICOS Provider #00120C

The CAEPR website has a large and growing electronic library of publications available
for free download, including Discussion Papers, Working Papers, Monographs and Topical Issues.