Varnatol the Duntarl (was Deep, not popular)

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_lBSVz-XQtC47NS22m5KMsz8OcfFP-ovfFSmUmQygohcn0ZfAtLZnbZzdsEVMtgLz9yIXOSiq>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:05:03 +0200 (CEST)

All that KoS business, and all I can do is try to catch up...

Jane Williams

> What gets left out of CHDP is odd. We have a battle
> which was "a total disaster for Argrath" left in, for
> instance. Wasn't he present at some battle commanded
> by Broyan, too? So why the bias against being shown
> working for Kallyr? Well, if he'd once sworn loyalty
> to her: and then arranged for her murder? That's
> really bad. That's oath-breaking. If it wasn't for
> that, you could fill the description up with "and then
> Kallyr had no idea what to do, so her advisors,
> including Argrath, told her to..."

All the time you assume that CHDP was written for Argrath. It wasn't, at least not directly. It was written for a Grazer turntail chieftain named Varnatol the Duntarl who happened to rise to power when a previous, Sartar-friendly Grazer King was captured by the Lunars.

Why leave that disastrous battle in? My guess: Because Varnatol was in there, on the winning side. Later on he decided to quit company with his former allies (no idea away from my sources whether this included his king or whether his king led him to do so), and fought for Argrath (that charge against the aldryami archers...).

CHDP was intended to make the presenter of the book look good to the king.