Re: Generally Accepted Glorantha (GAG) , Core Glorantha

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at__MzN5QXbIlJgNdNlSgJymKIfUIgRfDMAVFyTms8kixUVtURbVZ7NJ5SKK0d8kD0j2OV>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:05:44 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Jeff Richard wrote:

>> Other examples of definitive information from scenarios is that Kalf
>> Garstallson is the chief of the Orlmarth just after the Fimbulwinter
> (not
>> to mention the tale of what happened to the Orlmarth and Hiord a
>> generation before that), the maps of third bridge Latifundia and Apple
>> Lane in Gathering Thunder and so on. That stuff has to be regarded as
>> "core" Glorantha. Change if you wsh (YGWV) but acknowledge that you are
>> changing, you can;t just ignore.
>
> Actually that is a very bad example. Originally that scenario was
> supposed to take place in Old Tarsh near the marsh. Steve, for
> reasons better left to his own, placed the scenario in the
> Colymarlands. I do not consider any of the material about Kalf
> Garstallson as "core Glorantha." I use the info about the Third
> Bridge Latifundia and Apple Lane, for what it is worth, but I've
> located the story in Old Tarsh where it was original set.

To me that makes it a really, really good example. Bordering on the excellent. In any group creative process (TV, film, etc) texts will go through a number of hands and be subject to revision, amendment and wholesale rewrite before seeing the light of day. That the final may be some distance from the original doesn't matter. What's finally published does. Otherwise we are in the insane situation of having to ask whether each word is "what was really meant". Officially, Issaries published Glorantha, says that the chief of the Orlamrth at that time is Kalf Garstallsson and that's the way it is unless Greg says otherwise. If someone plays it that way, their Glorantha is not varying. If you put it in Tarsh, then that;s a case of your Glorantha varying. We can't rely on the original writer's intent. We have to rely on the final product.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_DNQdaSwb-PDSczC-nEntcAyXL1c-1-UFWn1dUWgDsMAykrRyO0VGKp1MGXwFQ4Nb2fczRrRcHjFK4kjWgTL9Y30.yahoo.invalid