Re: Generally Accepted Glorantha (GAG) , Core Glorantha

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_DVM4qqUEDAvAqfOlpBz2iT22lxhPKtSPjhu2r-sfL1Ht-dgqRtRLKhzFQA-MUt-dcWe>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:17:19 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Jane Williams wrote:

> --- Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_QW8akuLAPOO1ANecFmWt019_j4qQOOCRb3m_FLna0E77V00-7wYrisuLdy9LVshQfsgZEYRHyY31Epx8u0UaPQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>> Rules only stuff are definitely out. I remember
>> Greg saying something
>> (apologies if my memoy is shot) about the Mongoose
>> stuff being factually
>> correct about Glorantha but not in how the rules
>> represent it.
>
> And the same has been said of RQ2, RQ3, HW, and HQ. In
> any case, Glorantha is one world, not one per
> rule-set. It gets tricky because sometimes the way
> Glorantha works is expressed in rules (does the iron
> sword carried by that wind lord wreck his magic, or
> not?) and clashes will, again, cause trouble.

Agreed. Although I thought we'd sorted out the iron problem...

>> You can't
>> just leave the sceanrios out though - remember the
>> sky ship says (p.66)
>> "The Sky ship details one of the great events of
>> history ... A great event
>> is an event that *will* occur in Glorantha".
>
> Yes, true. The big ones presented as "travelogues" are
> in: the smaller "once upon a time in a clan far far
> away", perhaps not.

I'd say they are. As I said, the point of this to me is "what are you varying from" not stopping variation. Leaving the details of the small sceanrios in doesn;t hurt that.

>> ..
>
>>> If they're available on-line, there's no longer a
>>> problem.
>
>> Which ones are available? I'd like to improve my
>> collection.
>
> Me too, and I'm not sure. But availability is
> availability: being a fanzine does not make it
> inaccessible, being Issaries does not make it
> accessible. And the PDF versions are a god-send!

Anyone know if there are PDFs of TotRM 7 (only one I'm missing), RQA 7+ (if they ever existed), Codex 4+ (ditto), Tradetalk 7+ (ditto) and any YBOT? (shameless selfserving insert)

>> But to me
>> the difference between core and GaG to me is
>> Greg-approval. To me that's
>> implicit in the officialy published stuff but not in
>> the fanzines.
>
> An interesting and understandable view-point, until
> you realise the extent to which Issaries stuff was
> *not* Greg-approved. Anyone remember the surprise
> with which he greeted the news that Danar (that's
> Kallyr's son, the one who dies on the Sky Ship) was
> brought up Darra Happan? That's what it says in the
> scenario, in a box. Apparently it bears no resemblance
> to what Greg wrote. What he did write may well have
> been far more fun, but we're now stuck with Dara
> Happa.

Son, where's it say he's her SON?

> Oh, and don't forget the Errata, will you? The example
> that comes to my mind is the date the Bat hit
> Whitewall, which so many products have got wrong and
> been Errata-ed (is that a word?) but no doubt people
> interested in other areas have found others.

Errata implicitly included?

> Then there's the Fan Publication Policy, which means
> that anything that came out after that date *had* to
> be Greg-approved, which was what caused quite a lot of
> the upset as people sat around waiting for things they
> thought they were going to publish the next day.
>
> It's never as simple as you might think, and never as
> simple as we'd like to be be :(

I know, I know. I was assuming Issaries was approved unles he came out and said "wrong". Fan publishing approval I interpreted as "acceptable" not "that's really how it is". I could have thatw ront too though...

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_QW8akuLAPOO1ANecFmWt019_j4qQOOCRb3m_FLna0E77V00-7wYrisuLdy9LVshQfsgZEYRHyY31Epx8u0UaPQ.yahoo.invalid