Re: Varnatol the Duntarl (was Deep, not popular)

From: Paul King <paul_at_oFeoxem7Rsv09BvK2K4AI04p_uHGx7ILybrztvvY6j89XXyQO5T3CqpHbN_M61fG478l4hq>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:27:35 +0100

On 11 Apr 2007, at 10:05, Joerg Baumgartner wrote:

> Why leave that disastrous battle in? My guess: Because Varnatol was in
> there, on the winning side.

> CHDP was intended to make the presenter of the book look good to
> the king.

Reminding the King of a big defeat where the presenter of the book took part on the other side is not exactly flattering. It's more plausibly a thinly veiled threat ("you need me on your side..."), but not something likely to make the King think well of Varnatol.

However, it isn't clear to me that the battle is as great a military disaster as CHDP says it was. Minaryth Blue reports only a cushy garrison job in Furthest for 1636 and doesn't mention Yoran at all. (I suspect that Minaryth isn't entirely accurate on the years but it seems likely to me that the Broo attack Minaryth reports for 1635 is related to Yoran). On the other hand Argrath does run away to Prax for the next few years - maybe the scale of the defeat has been exaggerated to justify Argrath's absence.