Re: GAGging on the Core concept

From: David Cake <dave_at_UxcIvtrdSinEFZqDdwi3wGnIGTxDieFsvulJOsaNTen6zi4alGpCykBUCvQyBxGXnpLhXSM>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:29:30 +0800

At 2:09 PM +0000 11/4/07, Rick Meints wrote:
>NONE of the forthcoming Heroquest publications, regardless of the
>writing team, is being dumbed down for anyone. I don't think it
>applied in the past either. I don't know specifically who said past
>publications were "dumbed down for the unwashed masses", but I find
>that phrase totally incorrect and also potentially offensive and
>inflammatory. There is a vast difference between making
>something "more playable" or "marketable" and "dumbing it down".
>This is not a war of euphemisms either.

        I'm just going to chime in and echo this. Being prepared for commercial publication, and being dumbed down, are two very different things. Trying to make something a good playable game involves many compromises with the source material. Its not the same as dumbing it down - on the contrary, sometimes it means grappling in detail with issues you know most Gloranthans might ignore, but your players will not. But sometimes it does mean skipping over, or radically changing, details that won't help most games.

        Glorantha is more than an RPG setting. Its a setting, for many types of games (board, several different types of RPG, computer), for fiction, and more. All these uses will have different demands, and one true Glorantha that satisfies all of them is impossible.

	Cheers
		David