Culty Contradictions

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_SPXvzbEQZXUOvphj1AJaP3yfs2O_yFAJIdr0GosX5fXEpqLxbaxHk1n270qqjKZP>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 02:57:36 -0400

I think cults should disagree all the time.

On April 11, 2007 10:12 pm, David Cake wrote:
>  My take on seemingly contradictory views of things in
> Glorantha where there seems to be some support for both views is to
> write the contradictions in, use it. Real world social institutions
> aren't free of contradictions, why should Gloranthan ones be any
> different? Glorantha will be the richer if we have several types of
> Humakti, several types of Vingan, etc trying to co-exist in a cult
> that ultimately has room for all.

Absolutely. For instance, while ST and TR are great for the Sartarite Heortlings, they aren't the whole story. So I never get TOO hung up on details for things like Gods.

Gods are big and complex and difficult.

For instance, it bugs the hell out of me that Lhankor Mhy does not have the Truth rune. Way too many previous writings imply the Truth rune is his principal association. Also, the stories that exist for him, even the ones in ST, argue for a Truth rune link.

So, just as Humakt in Carmania doesn't have an Honor affinity, LM lots of other places does. Sometimes as a Subcult. Sometimes as a core in something like another Aspect of LM. (Less variety in aspects among the smaller gods in my view. Nothing on the level of the huge shift you get with Orlanth.)

So in my Glorantha there are LM cultists who don't have Literacy as an affinity. (Also some who do.) Mongoose's second age thing even has a great backing for this since it talks about how there is a fight going on in the second age among the LM cultists who want things to be libraries and those who want their knowledge even more secret. (Literacy as primary or not.)

I also have the Elasa as the subcult that provides inspiration, since the myth seems to support that. They probably fight endlessly with that wacky guy with trickster tendencies who is in MoLaD.

I know Humakti who are death obsessed, Humakti who are honor obsessed, and Humakti who are combat obsessed. They disagree as to what is appropriate. I know Vingans who think Vinga is about vengance and others who think she is about Protection.

Especially when it comes to Cults, I think as long as you can make a decent argument I'm probably going to accept it. (Which is why I'm not convinced Ernalda *ISN'T* She Who Waits - Hon Eel demonstrated that well enough to be pretty damn convincing.)

LC