Re: Wenelians - a snippet from Trader Princes

From: Toread DuDerysi <jakyer_at_9VDHm1Z_cwJ7eFWOBIO5GNmJsdolqqg-hKd_E4ma-jzVZfCMiw6hsb7xGMxJm0t-WUEWE>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:23:45 -0000

Hmm. Interesting point. I think, from the post-Sinking Wenelian point of view, any foreign cult was probably the result of God Learner meddling. There was a great reaction and many such supposed cults were purged from the clans. Issaries was always a favorite of the Justreli and would have been shunned. Of course, that would result in the loss of his communication and trade magic. I am not sure if Alakoring's reformation of the Orlanth cult really 'took' in Wenelia. I believe he was killed in the region but possibly before he could bring his newer, stronger kingship magic to the benighted clans. Some clans, such as those descended from the Harandings, are utterly opposed to any kind of unifying magic. Others, long ruled by Malkioni and Malkioni-ized nobles, no longer had any access to the king and chieftain magics, relying instead upon the feudal system - though these settlements are more common in the western Ditali peoples.

Of course, when they purged themselves of supposed "God Learner" influence, the Wenelians purged themselves of all but their most traditional practices. On the whole, this included the Lightbringer cults as well as foreign. With the generally harsh lifestyle and poverty post Sinking/Goddess Switch, cults such as Chalana Arroy and Lankor Mhy would be luxuries many clans could ill-afford. It was a Cultural Revolution...

But the Wenelian clans are such a patch work of broken and remnant peoples that its harder than usual to make sweeping generalizations.

Jeff