Re: Wenelians - a snippet from Trader Princes

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_H08dI62kQ0FlXsV2GV7FzLq2zlWpUii19BNOXMUVqgr2G7FU8bwOFBs9hHehMMw6wNh8>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:06:05 -0000

> I'm not sure. I think the Wenelians (if there is such a beast) were
> dead set against any overlords. They haven't had any rulers they've
> actually liked since the early Dawn Age. I think the reason the
> Trader Princes have been so successful is that their hand is very
> light. They are also the only people with working trade/negotiate
> magic in the region.

I don't mean they had Hendriking overlords. I mean that there was likely an introduction of Hendriking Orlanthi practices that largely didn't "take". From about 1045 to 1125, the Hendrikings were the dominant players in Kethaela and in southern Kerofinela. Then the Dragonkill happens.

> I think much of the area - particularly the western half - was
> abandoned as too much trouble though I think that this may explain
> the establishment of the various Ditali kingdoms.

If they are even that old. They might have only formed once trade became reestablished between Ralios and Kethaela - which I assume probably happened with the coming of Belintar.

> I suspect this would make their marriage patterns less exogamous
> than the Heortling norm. But again, I do not think that the
> Wenelians are Heortling or Esrolia Lite.

Nor do I. They are far more dysfunctional! :)

> Interesting. I know that the Islands were hard hit (but not
> exterminated). This seems rather extreme but I know that people are
> incredibly resilient - but it would serve to reset the cultural
> rather dramatically. In some ways, the social effects of the Closing
> on the Mournsea Islands would be like that of the Syndics Ban. That
> said, there was some travel between islands - but it was very risky.

Yep. Sort of a reset to the pre-Theyalan Dawn.

> The Venting may be responsible for some of what are thought to be
> Gods War features along the Posion Shore such as the Petrified Sea -
> or may have been recapitulations of events from pre-Time. I was
> under the impression they were older but one lava flow piled upon
> another looks much the same (this I know far too well!)

Possibly. I just know that the Venting was a huge event.

> > The Wenelians got hit with the end of the world and probably
> retreated
> > into their ancestral survival myths. They invoked ancestors,
> animals,
> > some became trees, worshiped the a surviving saint, or did
> something
> > else to survive this terribly time. What survived was a patchwork
> > mess of traditions and practices.
>
> Good points. Any survival magic would have been invoked, regardless
> of consequences. I had not considered things being quite so bad.
> This makes the Fimbulwinter of Dragon Pass look like a tea party.

Yep. But it really helps explain why Wenelia is the way it is.

> The resultant mess of survivors (not that they were very organized
> beforehand) would make a great game. Very 'post apocalyptic' in
> feel. I think that you just changed my perspective of Caselain and
> his journey from a Marco Polo-esque journey into something from
> Roger Zelazny's "Damnation Alley" - complete with cultists. At least
> I know where the "cargo cultists" of Granbon come from now. My brain
> hurts now.

I think post-Venting Wenelia would be a blast of location. Like playing in a less mythical version of the Great Darkness and the Grey Age.

Jeff