Re: Trader Princes - Due out in May at tentacles

From: Toread DuDerysi <jakyer_at_6AA59yV72-OtbHwWHc17cwYqx0QEmLvic9M4wGfnRVicl-oX3ZV4EqS3jf3AJjHoQdEdL>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 01:01:59 -0000

Oh, right. Is this thing on? (taps mike). Here goes...

I am not quite sure where to start describing Trader Princes. The book is set in western Maniria and talks about its feuding tribes, the pathetic Islanders along the New Coast, and the numerous Houses of the Trader Princes. However, the action focuses on the city of Fay Jee and its rulers, House Caroman. Fay Jee lies on Mournsea and is one of the larger surviving cities along the coast. Setting the game in Fay Jee allows characters from almost anywhere around the Homeward Ocean to show up as player characters. I think this is a bit of a departure from the relatively 'closed' games of the Heortlings.

The 1/3 of the book is about Wenelia and its inhabitants, 1/3 about the city of Fay Jee and the House Caroman, and 1/3 adventures, story seeds, and plot hooks. We have four new homelands - the Trader Princes, the Wenelians, the Islanders of the New Coast, and the Pralori. In addition, extensive religious keywords are provided along with a halfdozen  new profession keywords such as Riverman and the Propitiators who live among the Islanders.

Like the old "Borderlands" boxed set, the heroes start off as newcomers but may end up in charge of House Caroman, the rulers of Fay Jee. One thing I tried to keep in mind was that the Trader Princes was about choices. The heroes are free to abuse, cheat, or run roughshod over the surrounding clans and other rivals but in the end, these choices may come back to haunt them. On the other hand, being the nice guy all the time will quickly result in the collapse of House Caroman. In the end, when the House is in dire need, they will find out if they have made the right choices.

I've posted a few snippets about Wenelians and their religions but if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Jeff