Re: Vinga/Nandan/Sexualty/Gender

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_fGjqdKFEgeM1iD7Z-_ID-VDz4OX3cS2LKy-LqbizZWjHch_cTc7efARCOuD_>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 05:41:11 -0000

> Which is a fairly safe equation. Ernalda is a Great Goddess and
> defines both women and magic for the Orlanthi.
> Maran is a malevolent
> female power (the Active Earth is something of an oxymoron and not a
> generally positive thing) and Babeester Gor is a transgressive avenger.

But both are women and magic, so they are part of Ernalda, not somehing separate and opposed. Babeester Gor was born from Ernalda, who ultimately "took her dear daughter into her loving arms" (_Storm Tribe_ p. 202). As for Maran, "Many people consider her an aspect of the Great Goddess" (p. 221).

It sounds like you and Greg have rethought these goddesses and their connection to Ernalda since _Storm Tribe_. Does the upcoming Unifinished Work cover them?

>> In principle, it should be possible to

> > build stories about healing, endurance, and diplomacy for an
>> > Ernalda

> > campaign, but the reasonably complete, heroquest-ready mythology that
> > you would need is not there.

> I disagree. I think there is a lot more Ernalda material out there
> than people give credit for.

I think the problem is playable ("heroquest-ready") mythology, not to mention other playable material such as setting, interesting PCs, and story hooks. Game material about the Orlanthi is, well, Orlanth-y.

Our group certainly got through _Sartar Rising_, for instance, with little involvement of Ernalda. I can't speak for the one player who had an Ernalda PC, but it seemed to me that we had to go quite a ways off the main story path to involve that PC. In the end, the PC's husband probably got more screen time.

I'm not volunteering to write Ernalda-centric material, mind, being short an X chromosome. Maybe if I watched _Oprah_ while I planned scenarios...