Re: Vinga/Nandan/Sexualty/Gender

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_KiAdAuKNmYJCSYP85TZmHTymXxGJbIRCmg0cEeQfrGFVyFv7wOV7v1wRcwcMO1arusN9>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:01:22 +0800

Hey Doyle,

On 4/14/07, Doyle Tavener <doyletavener_at_Dwt_wPX4I_uejSoP1pxll285v-Ux_Yjk_h1TtJZK2oNRZ9kYGRsa7bK4upXyw4Yctq9OUwXnerq27V48jjSFh_txiUmG.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> Right off the bat, I want to state that my real world understanding
> in these matters is informed by my own sexuality (bisexual) and my
> study of homophobia, gender and feminist studies. I would suggest
> Homophobia: A History, by Byrne Fone, not just for information about
> the titular subject, but also as a survey of classical-era attitudes
> towards same-sex sexuality in general.
> But as
> many cultures around the world demonstrate, gender is often more
> centered around the roles you fulfill in society, rather than who
> you have sex with.

I haven't studied this, and I don't understand the implementation (practical implications, etc.) of it, especially in the modern day. Can you list some of these cultures? Is this covered in the book mentioned above? I also followed the Wikipedia link, but couldn't find this information, so any web sites recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

P.S. What does "high crown" mean? I think I understand the context, but a quick Google search didn't turn it up.