Re: Solar Ernalda

From: donald_at_u37kZgrGmIsL8GdsEQ9GmM-irZyHbB8EtNCK0DksNW-8kRQ1-sKaPHyQq4-m5CnTqxFjE
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:17:27 GMT

In message <evqt26+cv2e_at_eGroups.com> "Simon Phipp" writes:

>I was thinking about Sun County and how the cults interact and how
>they differ from nearby cults.

Which Sun County are you talking about? AIUI there are significant differences between the one in Sartar and the one near Pavis.

>Ernalda in Sun County should differ considerably from Ernalda in
>Heortling areas. The Number One Husband is Yelmalio not Orlanth and
>the Husband-Wife relationship will follow a different model to the
>standard Ernalda-Orlanth model.

My explanation is that Ernalda was promised to Yelmalio before she was abducted by Orlanth. When given the opportunity to chose she makes the sensible decision of returning to her betrothed.

>What myths would Sun County Ernaldans teach/remember? I would imagine
>they would have myths of Ernalda in Yelm's Court, nothing of
>Orlanth's Wooing of Ernalda, nothing of the Orlanth-Ernalda
>relationship or Ernalda/Storm Tribe, something of how Yelmalio and
>Ernalda met and married, Ernalda/Yelmalio should have more myths than
>they do, finally they should have some myths on how Ernalda hid below
>ground, the birth of Babeester Gor and how Ernalda went to the Halls
>of the Dead to help persuade Yelm to return to he world.

I suspect most of these are pretty much the same as the ones in TR.

>How would the cult of Ernalda in Sun County differ from the nearby
>ones? I can't see Ernalda the Queen being worshipped at all. Esrola
>would be worshipped as Esra the Barley Goddess. What about Ernalda
>the Healer? Most of her subcults seem to be Storm Tribe/Heortling in
>focus. Would there be Sun County versions of those subcults? Ernalda
>All-Mother would be the obvious Sun County cult with Eninta the
>Midwife, Mahome Hearth-Mother, Overdruva Forest-Friend, Pella the
>Potter and Vela Matchmaker having no problems in Sun County. Orane
>Steadwife and Skovara are problematic as they seem to have heavy
>Storm Tribe connections. Would there be any other subcults worshipped
>mainly/only in Sun County?

Ernalda the healer is going to be pretty much unchanged, same problems requring the same solution. Overdruva is going to be almost unknown in the Pavis Sun County because there are no forests apart from the Garden in the Rubble. Orane will be called the Housewife but with the same affinities. Skovara hasn't any storm connections that I know of, she's also a subcult of Donandar. Skovara will be either a children's entertainer or a cult not acceptable for respectable women. Pella I'm a bit doubtful of, I can see potters being male in Sun County using the sun rather than a kiln to harden the clay. From Ernalda the Queen I think Kev and Roitina will exist in Sun County - they just don't have the status they do among the Orlanthi.

>In Dragon Pass, Sun County is seen as odd because they have the
>Yelmalio/Ernalda marriage not the standard Orlanth/Ernalda one. In
>Dara Happa, they are odd because they don't celebrate Yelm/Dendara or
>even Yelm/Ernalda. It sems that wherever they are, Sun Domers/Sun
>County are beleaguered and surrounded by people who don't understand
>them.

Everyone's against us and they're all wrong. Yelm still treats us like a child and that big bully Orlanth keeps beating us up. Yelmalio has a big persecution complex.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/