Re: Solar Ernalda

From: donald_at_V8nfIRGTeRRp8cPWVEbJmzH0YLduhk0bW044qu2qXV8ad_6dtK0NaSx73ZW65MF4WRW4k
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 01:17:23 GMT

In message <evu14p+1r88_at_eGroups.com> "Simon Phipp" writes:
>Peter Metcalfe:
>> Esrola is dead in the Wastelands.
>
>Is she? I didn't know that.

The wastelands obviously. In Prax she's going to be weak but in Sun County and along the River of Cradles she'll be there.

>Donald Oddy:
>
>> Which Sun County are you talking about? AIUI there are significant
>> differences between the one in Sartar and the one near Pavis.
>
>All of them :-)
>
>Mainly the ones in Prax and Sartar, but also the ones in Balazar,
>Tarsh and Peloria. Admittedly the ones in the Empire would have a lot
>more Dara Happan influence, which means they would be more like
>Dendara, or maybe less like Dendara as they try to remain distinct.

According to the RQIII Sun County supplement roughly 4% of women are followers of Dendara rather than Ernalda which matches the 4% of men who follow Yelm rather than Yelmalio. This is supposed to reflect Dara Happens from the empire choosing to live among other sun worshippers rather than with the Barbarians in and arround Pavis. The same may well have happened in Sartar. Balazar hasn't got a Sun County, it's got a small ruling class descended from a Yelmalio leader and his followers. Precisely how much the worship of Yelmalio has been corrupted is unclear but they are more followers of Balazar than Yelmalio.

I don't know of anything written about the ones in Tarsh or Peloria. Tarsh I would expect to be similar to the one in Sartar.

>> From Ernalda the Queen I think Kev and Roitina will
>> exist in Sun County - they just don't have the status they do
>> among the Orlanthi.
>
>That makes sense. I was thinking that Ernalda the Queen would
>have no place in a culture ruled by men and Yelmic in nature.
>But Roitina pre-dates Orlanth and Ernalda and Kev is pretty
>much independent.

Further thought does lead to a role for Orendana - the wife of the chief who rules in his place when he goes off to war. Given that Sun Domers regularly hire out as mercenaries that's going to happen quite a bit. The alternative is that the leader appoints a reeve to rule while he's away.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/