Re: Vinga vs. Babeester Gor

From: rune.writer <rune.writer_at_WvKRouV9WCtedakOiz0UffrvDY-2gYWjk5YzcSRangdGylKdYLZ8T27sDsB4o7Pd>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 03:31:23 -0000

A good tale, but I hope you won't mind me answering with a different view of the same story:

Inga Helgasdottir sat quietly at her grandmother's feet, listening silently to tales of long ago...

"I mourn my daughters, poor Natkara and Brygga. Sweet Natkara, some said she was the most beautiful woman in the village. Her husband was a fine young man, strong at arms and well thought of at the weapontake and their children ... oh if you could have seen them, little one. As lovely a pair of trouble makers as any mother could wish for.
There was a raid, some of the young men from the Greydog clan, eager to prove their worth took some cattle. Well, we knew our boys would go take them back the next night. Some of the Greydog lads even rode close to the gates to brag of their bravery. You know how boys are. One of them caught sight of Natkara and hid when our men chased them off.
He ... well it's not a thing for a child to hear, but he killed my Natkara and her daughters."

The old woman paused and wiped her eyes.

"Granny, that's wrong!"

The old woman nodded sadly.

"Yes it is child, and worse, to hide his crime he fired their stead and fled.
Brygga was distraught. She fairly worshipped her big sister. I swear she cried for a week.
It was worse when her tears dried. All she said was, 'I will avenge her.'

She took one of grampa's cows to the temple and killed it, right there holy circle.

I tried to stop her but she would have none of it. She took the labrys from the guardian's shrine and cut that cow's head right off. There was blood everywhere and most of it on Brygga who just stood in the circle laughing. Well, the priestess, you remember Aunty Inga, she ran up to Brygga with a look on her face like I have never seen. I thought she would bust she was so angry.

'Good Goddess Brygga!' she shouted and grabbed the girl. Now Inga was never one to be told off. Damn, but she was a handful as a child and, you know, as priestess, I once saw her reduce a Uroxi to tears, but she stopped when she saw Brygga's eyes. All Brygga said was, 'I will have justice.'"

The old woman paused again and wiped her eyes.

"That is how I lost my first two daughters. Luckily, the goddess saw fit to bless me with your mother. Now, you run along and get ready for bed."