Re:Thella: White Moon, Glassless Mirror, Net Weaver?

From: nils_w <nils_at_0T7dg-rqeaJ6Op3faG2-OVW4AJj-2Z1h23epXntqhelfErBJODXfCBBS017FbfjdMTXl6Aw>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:41:43 -0000

Obviously, whether these are the same mythic event or not I don't know.

> > Oren Parond is the "pure" mystic expression, which cannot be
> > worshipped in any meaningful way. But, as I think that "everyday
> > mysticism", "mystic cults" or whatever we choose to call the
> > cults which rise from the misunderstandings of lesser mortals,
> > it is quite possible that the cult of Thella has both theist
> > and animist magic, like the Teshnan cults.
>
> I view Oren Parond as Sorcerous/Saintly Veneration. I don't have
> Revealed Mythology handy, but it does have a bit about how one of
> the
> groups in the Mirror War "contemplated the essence of Oren Parond",
> which sounds a bit like veneration to me.

Actually, RM says that the Ezelito saw Oren Parond who taught them how to sacrifice to Thella the Glassless Mirror, which fits rather ill with both our views. Will have to think about that.

> Let's look at real world mystic traditions, like Hinduism. Though
> there is a great emphasis on everyone sitting in meditation and
> finding their own path to realization, one gives various saints and
> founders of mystical philosophy a great deal of worship and respect.
> It's not pure mysticism, but it gives magic that is useful to
> people.

Yes, that's absolutely the case in the East Isles too.

> Also from Revealed Mythologies, Reha Manari I believe found a way to
> Revere the Teachings of Mashunusan as a scripture. This is another
> example of this phenomenon occurring.

It just says "reveres Mashunasan", nothing about scriptures. I don't think we should read HeroQuest terminology into this as Reha Manari is otherwise described as a mystic. That said, I'm sure there are modern day followers of Reha Manari who through various misunderstandings through the ages get magic in the form of spells.

> > The image of capturing dreams like spirits is tempting.
> Yes, I think that Animism is another natural way of interacting with
> dreams. I could see Shamans of Thella trapping dreams in intricate
> knots that they tied together, similar to Native American/New Age-y
> dreamcatchers.
>
> In my campaign in Melib, there is one NPC who is a son of Harstar
> the
> Vile who hunts down nightmares and places them in tattoo's on his
> own
> body. A colorful way to deal with a serious problem.

Cool!

> > > And Dreams have a natural cyclicism of their own - all of existence
> > > rotates between Waking, Sleeping, and Dreaming.
> >
> > But those who go for the deeper understanding seek to be
> > both waking and dreaming, thus breaking the cycle.
>
> Yes, Elucidation is the Fourth State, which breaks all the rules.
> In
> my campaign, I've been using a variant of the ILH-2's Illumination
> rules to handle it.

I haven't yet though about what elucidation could mean in game terms, but starting off from the illumination rules for the way to get there sounds reasonable.