Pathfinder, the movie

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_D1XIKLDUSkDjyeCGwarcNJvebBzyHWPJ1ptgus7yw82GVx2NOcoxJI10kIWPrDWjZY_k1>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 21:33:27 -0000

I just got back from the new film "Pathfinder", and boy, is it a stinker!

Going in, I *knew* that it wasn't going to be as historical as, say, Saving Private Ryan, or 300, or even King Arthur (aka, Woad Warrior, or the Magnificent Seven Beyond the Wall"), so I was ready for a good old time movie. But this mwas sooo bad!

Totally unhistorical, bad acting, bad dialog (what there was of it), some okay fights but edited so you can't see what's going on, absolutely *no* humor (oh, wait, there *was* one pratfall, so that might be considered semi-funny), stupid plot, stupider vikings (we have another "let's lure the stupiod vikinghs out onto the thin ice" scene, a reprise of the scene in King Arthiur where we lure the stupid Saxons out onto the ice...)...

On the other hand, some lovely visuals for Glorantha. You want Wolf Pirates or Kingdom of War Barbarian-types? We got'em. Balazarings (or maybe primitive Wenelians)? We got them, too. Some really lovely primeval forest, some great snowy mountains (Are there mountains in Vinland?)

Unfortunately, the visuals are about all the movie is worth. Don't spend full price for a ticket. Don't spend matinee prices for a ticket. Wait until it gets to TV, and tape it. Then you can stop watching if you fall asleep and not feel guilty. Or play the Pathfinder Drinking game - everytime our (self-taught) hero beats up an experienced viking warrior, take a drink. Except you'll want to get an early start on the drinking, so every time someone says a line of dialog, take a drink. By the time our hero kills his first fully-armored viking hersir, you'll be oblivious.

RR