Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_peAWfQGWAajZaL8FwFwIBC_o4F2bEgu3EiI5MKieCrNoiNwi23b40sG2ZVFYOGf9Jbs3X>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 21:46:31 -0000

> But what is it like on a more practical level. I have a feeling that
> chaos is something you (usually) have to choose or accept. A spiritual
> and magical phenomenan, rather than pollution or a disease.

I think you *can* be physically corrupted by chaos without your consent. Eating chaos stuff is a good way to do so, or drinking chaos-polluted water, or breathing chaos-polluted air....(Chaos is somewhat like Radioactivity that way, especially in the Comic-book/ Hollywood version of Radioactivity) You might or might get mentally warped at the same time.

Spending lots of time doing stuff like rape, or cannabalism (other than ritual "culturally okay" cannibalism) (or planning it or dreaming about it...) can be seen as "worshipping" the appropriate deity (Thed, Ogres). And has a chance to turn you into a broo, ogre, or whatever. Or it might not, it's chaos, after all.

> Does the Three Worlds structure of the magic realms mean anything to
> chaotic entities? I've been thinking of Thanatari in the Janube
> valley. If somebody forms a "saintly order" analogue around thanatari
> knowledge ripping magic, is there any sense of misapplied worship? Are
> the chaotic entities spirits, gods and essences, or are they more like
> powerful entities of the Hero Planes?

In my abortive Chaos book, worship of Chaos entities is not part of the three world view - you worship the way the entity tells you to, and get what magic the entity gives you. And it's always misapplied worship, and there's no levels of worship (generally. Some cults, like thanatar, have rather rigid worship levels. Unless you concentrate, but concentration is on the entity, not "Chaos". So a Broo might concentrate on Thed and get Devotee/Practitioner style magic.

Any non broo/scorpion man/ogre/whatever that actively worships (excluding propitiary worship) *is* going to get "tainted" with some chaos (if they're not just killed and eaten, of course. Or raped, or...)

> What "level of entity" is Ralzakark supposed to be? We've only seen

Personally, I think he's a low-level demigod - *IF* everything he says about himself is true...

RR