Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_uk0oQf5DYzQtFTfN4mfPnCuN3LqAlNHBk5tPwj2Br6pIhWcntaLNnBjY5GGd1ukX>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:11:43 -0400

On April 17, 2007 05:46 pm, Roderick Robertson wrote:

> I think you *can* be physically corrupted by chaos without your consent.
> Eating chaos stuff is a good way to do so, or drinking chaos-polluted
> water, or breathing chaos-polluted air....(Chaos is somewhat like
> Radioactivity that way, especially in the Comic-book/ Hollywood version of
> Radioactivity) You might or might get mentally warped at the same time.

This is the way I finally fell down on the issue as well. You can get Chaos inadvertently.

> Spending lots of time doing stuff like rape, or cannabalism (other than
> ritual "culturally okay" cannibalism) (or planning it or dreaming about
> it...) can be seen as "worshipping" the appropriate deity (Thed, Ogres).
> And has a chance to turn you into a broo, ogre, or whatever. Or it might
> not, it's chaos, after all.

It might turn your children into broo instead. Or your clanmates.

> In my abortive Chaos book, worship of Chaos entities is not part of the
> three world view - you worship the way the entity tells you to, and get
> what magic the entity gives you. And it's always misapplied worship, and
> there's no levels of worship (generally. Some cults, like thanatar, have
> rather rigid worship levels. Unless you concentrate, but concentration is
> on the entity, not "Chaos". So a Broo might concentrate on Thed and get
> Devotee/Practitioner style magic.

That's interesting, concentrating on the entity. I had often thought that in general that's an easier concept than concentrating on a world. (Especially since there seem to be all kinds of exceptions to concentrating on worlds, from Storm Bull/Urox's situation to Lunar (new world), Troll (unknown but was Underworld as 5th world), the common magic religions like Donandar, and then that one from... ILH? (or was it Men of the Sea?) where you can get charms and feats if you concentrate on that god.

But it sounds like I mostly have viewed how to do Chaos similarly to you.

LC