Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_aWinGSkXr6EqDgo8-3MFmmr67C4cgn5GY9MqNED7tAIY2qoUuYDlbHLHNnUaXp4lFdg>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:35:26 -0000

I write to clarify my position some. I wrote the original in a bit of a hurry.

> I think you *can* be physically corrupted by chaos without your
> consent. Eating chaos stuff is a good way to do so, or drinking
> chaos-polluted water, or breathing chaos-polluted air....(Chaos is
> somewhat like Radioactivity that way, especially in the Comic-book/
> Hollywood version of Radioactivity) You might or might get mentally
> warped at the same time.

This doesn't work for me. I'n the famous Glorantha rip-off Warhammer, chaos is quite literally pollution. Particles of warpstone rain down on the unfortunate planet (much like "Depleted" Uranium on our own) and mutates unfortunates with it's radiation.

That is way too modern and not nearly enough mythical in logic for Glorantha.

That said, there are ways. Spending time in a heavily chaotic enviroment (like parts of Snakepipe Hollow and Dorastor) propably exposes you to the raw power of chaos, and can cause problems. Eatin chaos slime (a magic "item" from Plunder) can also mutate you, as can powerful chaosmagic.

Still, I'd like to make a clear distinction to the modern and pollution like chaos of Warhammer. Glorantha is about myth, not the germ theory of disease or radiology.

Good points about chaotic-born children. I was thinking about non-chaotic mortals, and how they can get the taint.

Basically, as I understand it, every chaotic being has a wound in their soul. Inside them there is a place, where life and power is bleeding out of Glorantha. Normally, when that being is dead, the wound is closed. The flesh of a broo can be disgusting, but shouldn't make a wolf or a dog sprout tentacles.