Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_mcL_RSUj-5vpWwkDO-a7DEHo0xiZUw5aoxojXfBs33KbyCMNimXJpuGhStD04gnHckw>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:50:42 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, L.Castellucci wrote:

> Michael
>
> And remember that they know nothing about it. The clan knows it is incest.
> They don't. They are completely innocent.

Yes, and I'm not sure (memory can be failing) that anyone in the clan actually does know that they are brother and sister - the brother having been raised elsewhere, not sure anyone actually knows who he is. It's up to the PCs to work out.

>> I think it happens at first opportunity for them
>> because of the clan's weakness - chaos seeps in when the world is weak.
>> If the clan is strong, a single person acting in ways that may make them
>> chaotic will *usually* take a while to develop the taint. A clan that is
>> not strong in Orlanth (substitute other social group, god etc as
>> appropriate) or where the whole group is acting choatically will show
>> taints pretty damn fast. *Usually*. I think the two things to remember
>> are that chaos is unpredictaable, but its manifestations do follow mythic
>> precedent, the unpredictability being part of the myth.
>>
>> I don't know about the *victim* becoming chaotic. Don't see the precedent
>> for that. And children would only be chaotic if at least one of their
>> parents was.
>
> See above. I think the victim can become chaotic.

Maybe - if it does happen I would expect it to be far les often than for the perpetrator. Oh, and I'm not talking about people who are the victims of direct curses, like the Mad Sultan etc.

Michel

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_ba07Lx_k1BwsFDAY-0mTPv58nls1e-ZLrWiMdmXZWdXT5e8RAyE_izYvkFqiniPK6xjplqI6kYaBj1b2Ow.yahoo.invalid