Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_Mq5OY9wg7_h_C-r76uF-hjUEjE0NXuDdzoiR3-EBrJ1k31yyJ6rI0wcEARfOIO-wu-H>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:55:43 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> At 12:34 p.m. 19/04/2007, you wrote:
>> --- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com, Michael Hitchens
>> <michaelh_at_...> wrote:
>
>>> As I recall, the chaos was caused by Larnste's chaos tainted blood,
>>> which was tainted by what he stepped on - Krarsht.
>
>> In addition to being called a chaos god frequently in the Cults of
>> Terror writeup,
>
> Malia is also called a chaos god frequently yet it is possible to
> worship her in a non-chaotic form.

It is possible to worhsip her in propitiatory, rather than active form. But it's actively discouraged. maybe it is chaotic, just a lot less likely to turn the worshipers chaotic than active worship? Anyway, CoT is too old to be automatically definitive and are you now saying Malia isn;t chaotic either?

>> the version of her printed in Gods of Glorantha has
>> the chaos rune and calls her the "Chaos God of Intrigue and Power
>> seeking" and the Prosopaedia calls her the "Chaos God of Hunger and
>> Traps."

While these are all old, there's a lot in the HW/HQ material that describe Krarsht as chaotic.

> The same source which describes Dendara as an Earth Goddess
> (Runes: Light and Earth)?

I was wondering about this. Is Dendara part of the earth tribe anymore? I seem to remember that the story was once that Yelm was married to Ernalda and married Dendara after she followed him to Hell and he gave faithless Ernalda the flick. I seem to remember Dendara being Enralda's sister. This was Yelmic as well as Orlanthi belief, I think. Has this changed? Matching this earth Dendara with the Entekosiad seems a bit of a stretch...

But, while intersting, that's by the by to the dicussion of Krarsht - HW/HQ stuff desrcibes her as chaotic.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_4ro7tDvlol91XpCXjhWmkMj891DzgiAQ5cQMVFod_lUHVRdQW_QFjDsJYdub5nV2KpiPx8dhm4ASyv4ex6i_HQ.yahoo.invalid