Re: Are brontosaurs taboo?

From: Kevin Hayward <rune.writer_at_W2OC_BwaehTwWjjl-yehRtwnDS4j3vpealkDp_D7lSMQa800BKlOWAUu5-sc9agu>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:39:42 -0700

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> At 07:04 p.m. 18/04/2007, you wrote:
> >--- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:WorldofGlorantha%40yahoogroups.com>, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
> >wrote:
> > > Giving support in Chaparral and living off the Chaparral are two
> > > different things.
> >
> >Well, the rule in DP combines those two things - both giving AND not
> >requiring support.
>
> The rule in Dragon Pass is a crude attempt to describe armies in
> Dragon Pass only. That a herd does not require support on the
> Chaparral in Dragon Pass means nothing - Brontosaurs have very
> big stomachs thus going without food for several days doesn't
> seem impossible.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

Well, herbivores eat almost constantly, especially the big ones.

Consider that a cow, using a cow sized head to fuel a cow sized body grazes all day, except when it chews the cud.

I doubt a brontosaur, using a cow sized head to fuel a dinosaur sized body, could survive without doing the same.

Also, sauropods are grazers, not browsers. I could imagine hadrosaurs or ceratopsians surviving in Prax.

I think that if they (brontosaurs) are taboo, it's one of those situations where a religious law has evolved from a real need/warning (qv Halal or kosher laws).