Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ijtyDTQdFb4824TYAfdE6opTOMgwZpTI2YNBl4_HrYJC6wuzjVekpAyo1k9mgt8RGOr>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:20:50 +1200

At 01:40 p.m. 19/04/2007, you wrote:
>--- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com, Peter Metcalfe
><metcalph_at_...> wrote:

> > Excuse me? I'm not dogmatically shooting down a novel
> > interpretation of Krarsht with misleading source quotations.
> > I'm just defending my interpretation which you and Micheal
> > Hitchens seem to want to destroy at all possible costs.

>Actually, it seems like you are doing exactly that. Please, rather
>than sieze on one quote,

I provided another quote also from Cults of Terror which was also uncertain. Therefore there exists deliberate uncertainty about Krarsht in the original source.

>why are all the other quotes and notes such
>as associated cults dismissed?

I have not dismissed the associated cults. I pointed out that Seven Mothers and Nysalor are also associated with Primal Chaos. In addition to this, I have suggested that Krarsht's association with Primal Chaos is not that she seeks to destroy the Cosmos but that she seeks to control chaos. This is in line with a view of her as a version of Arachne Solara which, believe it or not, also exists in the original source.

As for the quotes and notes which state that Krarsht is a chaotic goddess, I have relegated most of them to considered opinions by gloranthans rather than objective facts and any known verifiable chaoticness can be explained by the cosmic damage caused by Larnste stomping on her.

Given that two other deities (Telmor and Malia) both have ambiguous relations with chaos, I fail to see why my own position that krarsht is in a similar position should be met with dogmatic incantations of canon and obstinacy to even concede there exists ample grounds for my position.

>Now, if you want stomped hole in the ground to have been the source
>of the chaos that infected the krarshtkids, then that's fine but it
>doesn't really fit with the observed data all that well.

How so?

>If you want
>Krarsht to be a happy-shiny-icky-non-chaotic-that-happened to wander
>into the world with the other chaos gods (it mentions in the Cults
>Compendium "Krarsht (or she).. and the other chaos gods" in several
>places.

Except that she appeared in the Storm Age. About the same time gods from foreign mythic places were rudely clashing with each other. For example - Vadel goes to Pamaltela and creates Death, the invasion of trolls from hell, the war between Gods and Spirits and so forth. All these incursions will look alien and illogical to those on the receiving end.

--Peter Metcalfe