Re: Heortling social structure and wergeld confusion - a clarification

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_6Y5VmOWLbWdlgQc_bgdmylGutEu5w3NtEbWuxc1-Z7zqTQ6EL8ZuJ0WTdQgmGFybh2I>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:05:56 -0000

I'm not trying to take the clans out of the equation. I'm trying to figure out a realistic vision of how individual wealth is created and maintained, and a believable mechanism of why the thanes become and stay thanes, and how they support their expensive lifestyle.

The warrior-noble logic seems to fit the society quite well.

I assume that the chieftains hall belongs to the clan and the office of the chieftain, and not to him as a person (nor to his bloodline). I'd say the chief is usually the head of one of the bloodlines of the clan. One of the landowning thanes, and that he moves to the chieftains village when he get's elected (or she, let's not forget).

I'd also say that a farmer pays taxes both to his/her local thane, as well as to the clan's communal larders. It's this communal surplus that is the clan ring's business to manage for trade, favours or famine. Same with cattle and livestock, of which a portion belongs to the clan, and among other things is used to fund the chief and the religious functions of the clan.