Re: Heortling social structure and wergeld confusion

From: Paul King <paul_at_MXKQyC6WxUtMxRbO6CaI9MszypFutrSC01GCiIOdCs1GQ_F0d6WkFPBPWAizpYdNNp3xNN0>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:09:31 +0100

On 23 Apr 2007, at 16:59, valkoharja wrote:
> The heortlings seem to be the
> ultimate communist utopia, where the clan owns everything and
> distributes the food and wealth of the clan fairly and equally along
> the clansmen.

Fairly ? I doubt it. Certainly not equally. The chieftain has to try to keep almost everyone happy, but that's not easy. Everyone wants what they consider their "fair share" and you can bet that often that will add up to more than there is - especially when times are hard. Generosity is a virtue, but many don't live up to that. Or not as well as they might people often don't live up to their ideals. Look at the Lunar Empire.

Imagine the situation where the crops have failed, but one bloodline has somehow managed to escape the worst. Oh they'll share the excess with the rest of the clan. Maybe tighten their belts a bit and give more. But what they give and what the rest of the clan thinks they should give may be quite different. And the women will scheme and manipulate and the men will threaten violence and the whole thing could explode. Nobody can make you do anything. Violence is always an option. Internal disputes can turn very nasty.

Justice ? the chief and the law are there to stop disputes boiling over into kinstrife - justice is only recognised so far as it serves that end. Remember Ragnaglar and Thed ? Orlanth favouring Ragnaglar because he was kin ? That's Orlanthi justice. Or the chief will favour the important folk of the clan over others. It's no better at the tribal chief level - perhaps worse because clans are even less reluctant to start a fight with another clan.

Foreigners ? If they aren't Orlanthi killing them and taking their goods is almost expected. Just remember to boast about it, so it isn't secret murder. Even the ideals aren't always so good when you look at them.