Re: Heortling social structure and wergeld confusion - a clarification

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_1nxvr3YlhioPyFqa3LgJmiY9vlWvAhHw49o3Qub38h3evf6MTi3KP_QIaOI9ekCWlOn>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:31:21 -0000

> This is correct. The office has certain entailments which the chief
> is expected to do his job with. Chieftain's herds and lands are
> mentioned several times in Thunder Rebels and Barbarian Adventures.
> From these, the Chief is expected to support his warband and his
> other expendetures.
>
> Landownership, however, is not something the Orlanthi do on the
> whole. Bloodlines 'own' the land, not individuals. And even then,
> they can lose it if they can't hold it. On the whole, the Bloodline
> is the mechanism for survival among the Orlanthi and it's needs take
> priority over almost everything (vengeance and justice being some of
> the exeptions).

This is what I'm going for, pretty much. I think the thane in charge of a stead is the leader of a bloodline, not a noble with an inheritable position. The bloodline selects their leader(s) themselves.

<snip>
> I am not saying that this is an impossiblity but I do think that
> this is an overly materalistic and modernist look at how a society
> in antiquity functions.
>
> Jeff

It gives concrete facts and figures for me to work on. It is also a model where people are people, and strive to make themselves more wealthy and successful. Again, just toiling away in the hopes of recieving largesse as an uncertain reward doesn't sound realistic or workable.

I'm not going to run this as a straight feodalism in feel, but I do think that the underlying mechanics have a lot in common. The nobles need to get a share of the work of others, and in turn function as the warrior elite. This mechanic has been seen the world over time and time again.

  -Adept