Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_wJ9dBUnvO_ta1kohiat_UOP-EFG5vDvJGeYz64Yode9IDlMss9mK1RJeVwvBR9jdUW8>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:04:47 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Paul King wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2007, at 15:33, Chris Lemens wrote:
>
>> I agree with Michael on this point. There is a table in one of the old RQ
>> books that assigns chaos features randomly. This is what I have always
>> understood "chaos feature" to mean. If that has changed, I missed it.
>> Defining ogres' ogreness as a chaos feature does nothing helpful.
>
> I've got to admit that defining "being chaotic" as "having a chaos feature"
> and then insisting that "being chaotic" is a chaotic feature in itself seems
> to be rather begging the question.
>
> However, I think the basic idea is salvageable. As well as Random Chaotic
> Features - the chart - there seem to be others, that are non-random. The
> strength and sharp teeth of ogres. The unnatural fertility of broo. The
> Thanatari tarnishing of silver. If you include these it may be workable.

I still disagree. I think these are physical manifestations of the underlying taint of chaos, not the taint itself. Could they be called chaos features? Yes. In fact, that makes a little more sense of the "random chaos feature". The things you list are "non-random chaos features". Non-random in that they are shared by all members of a race. Chaos being unpredictable and having no hard and fast rules means that it can sometimes have hard and fast rules. :-) But they are symptoms of the chaos taint, not the chaos taint itself.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_0bl_1nYvWZYQiXH7uBBM1yqEdhjwvgqu0SnCQDOvFDcF1-23NvhIY2aUCpfAIYJGjsgFNTswKoWEx_CuobAI.yahoo.invalid